Sunday, November 20, 2016

Job vs. Career


I've heard quotes similar to this for a while and I think at this point in my life I believe it. I did a school visit a few days ago and after talking about out new after school snack program at the library, one of the teachers said, "I can tell you really love what you do. It always makes me smile when people love their work." She's right though. I really do love what I do.

To be honest, I became a librarian because I had a bachelor's degree in English and I didn't want to have to get a PHD to do something with my degree. The library thing was something I could do with just a master's program (plus I live in the Mecca of libraries, Ohio). However, I quickly learned while in school that I was passionate about what libraries do. I know that "knowledge is power" sounds cheesy, but it's true. Librarians are the unsung heroes of freedom of information and patron confidentiality.

I know that I don't always love my current position. To be honest, there are things I'm not 100% happy with that my system does. That being said, I have no doubt that I'm in the right field and I'm doing great work. I have big plans for myself and the communities I serve. I may not always love my job, but I have no doubt I have the right career. I'm a librarian and that's a great thing.


1 comment:

  1. I'm always happy to hear it when folks feel this way. I've spent my entire life chasing this, and now that I'm about to finish grad school, I know that I still may or may not be on the verge of finding it. My wife is the opposite, as she's known exactly what she wanted to do with her life (animal rescue) since she was about 12 years old. As she likes to say, she's bat-shit passionate.

    It's definitely a blessing and a curse for her, as passion also means it's hard to switch into the mode where you don't care about stuff, which would certainly make some of daily life easier to handle. Unfortunately, I think that's how most folks live most of their lives.

    ReplyDelete