Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Life is Too Short To Be Uncomfortable

I came across this video by musician, Meghan Tonjes, and had to share it.


She fucking nails it! 

Life is ephemeral. It’s your body. Be comfortable in it. As long as you aren’t hurting anyone, let society deal with their issues with your body. You don’t have to deal with it. You just have to live and enjoy yourself.

Outside of soccer conditioning (before I decided not to play) and gym class freshman year of high school, I didn’t wear shorts in public from 5th grade through freshman year of college. It started as a way to be “modest and get closer to the Lord.” That’s what I told myself. Seriously though, that wasn’t the case. I did it because I was fat and felt like I needed to cover my body. Actually, now that I think about it, I didn’t wear shorts until I dressed as Walter Sobchek for Halloween in 2010. Fourteen years, I went fourteen years without wearing shorts in public because I didn’t feel comfortable in my own skin. There were many hot days in those years. Two trips to Florida, two to Atlanta, one to Virginia… plus Hell, Ohio may not be in the south, but we have have some hot summers. Yeah, I did wear swimming trunks when I went to the pool or beach, but I always wore a shirt, because again, gods forbid someone sees my fair flabby skin. That’s ridiculous and I wish I could go back and tell my younger self that.


Now full disclaimer, I don’t really wear shorts often these days. It’s different though. I not to, not out of modesty, but because I’ve finally found a fashion style that I really enjoy wearing.

Seriously though, ladies and gents, wear what you want. Be you and be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment