Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Dapper Fat Dude With A Beard

I found this Tumblr last night and it's struck me. You can see the original here.


I am a handsome devil, who happens to be a fat guy and have a full beard. That being said, I don't typically feel that way when I shave. I've always assumed it was because my beard covered my giant man baby cheeks (which in the past I've not been the biggest fan of). Looking deeper into that though, it makes sense. I'm more boyish without my facial hair and therefore not a manly man man.

Do I think this is the only reason these things are "required" of fat gents to be found sexy, no, but I think it might be a big part of it. To be sexy in the eyes of society we have to be immaculate gentleman. I find this thought particularly troubling, because I don't like prescribed gender roles and the toxic masculinity that often comes from it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going home and shaving my beard and I'm definitely not putting my oh-so-dapper suspenders away, but it's interesting to to see what brought me here. These days I do this because I want to. Honestly, I give zero fucks if those around me think I'm attractive, because as previously stated, I know I'm a handsome devil. I've finally found a style that makes me happy, if others like it cool, if not fuck it.

Okay, there's the perspective of one fat guy. Ladies, do these sentiments ring true to your ears as well? I would guess so, but I dare not presume too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment